If you haven’t read our healthy eating introduction blog you can find that here first: In the next few editions we are pulling together a collection of recipes to try out that are healthy, simple and money-saving.
#MeatlessMonday Mac ‘n’ No-Cheese
Not only is the recipe meatless but it’s also free from dairy, making it suitable for vegans too! With all of the goodness and comforting flavours of the real thing with even more nutrition from the veggies but without the calorific cheese.
Great for those with a lactose intolerance or if you are wanting a lower calorie alternative.
Serves 3-4 – You will need:
A blender 200g dried pasta or (400g fresh pasta) or vegan alternative 2 large white potatoes peeled and roughly chopped 3 large carrots peeled and roughly chopped 1 mild onion peeled and roughly chopped 200g cashew nuts (soaked in boiling water for 10 mins) 2 level tsp of marmite (or yeast extract) 1 tsp Dijon mustard or your favourite mustard 40g of fresh breadcrumbs (a stale end of a loaf in the blender will do) (or vegan bread) 4 large cloves of garlic – peeled and crushed 1/2 tsp of smoked paprika or Cayenne if you like a little spice! 1 veggie stock cube
How to do it:
- Boil the kettle – you will need hot water for your steamer and also for the cashews to soak
- Add your cashews to a bowl and cover with boiling water – leave to soak
- Add the chopped vegetables to your steamer/pan. If you don’t have a steamer, boil them. Time for 10 mins
- Whilst these cook, add your pasta to another pan or into the water part of your steamer and cook according to the instructions on the packet. Drain and set aside
- Add a little boiled water to your blender jug – this stops anything from sticking
- Add the garlic, paprika, marmite, mustard and stock cube to your jug
- Once the veggies are done, add to the blender along with the soaked cashews and add 300ml of water from your veggie pan/steamer (this contains a lot of vitamins!)
- Blend everything together until you have a smooth sauce mix. It should be a cheesy colour. Add more water if it’s too thick
- Pour the sauce over your cooked pasta in an oven-proof dish, sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes on 180 degrees or gas mark 6/7
Serve on it’s own, or with a leafy green salad. Any leftovers are perfect for a quick microwave lunch the next day!
Hear from our
These are just some of the kind words about our practice, direct from our incredible patients.