Bhandal’s dentistry have put together a few steps for aftercare for dental implants and grafting procedures.
1. Avoid drinking and eating for one hour after surgery and anything too hot or cold for the rest of the day. Try to eat soft foods for the next few days.
2. DO NOT smoke or drink alcohol for a maximum of 48 hours after surgery.
3. DO NOT do any strenuous exercise for the next 24 hours, this could raise your blood pressure and cause bleeding.
4. DO NOT poke the area, fingers carry germs and may cause infection or bleeding.
5. Dentures MUST NOT be worn for a minimum of 7 days unless otherwise instructed by a Doctor.
6. If you have had a grafting procedure occasionally some of the grafting material extrudes and becomes visible. If you are at all worried then please do not hesitate to call your local surgery.
7. After the surgery the area may become swollen causing some facial bruising.
8. Sometimes the healing abutment will be visible, this is silver in colour and you can often see this poking through the gum. If the healing abutment comes off do not worry, contact your local surgery.
9. After surgery avoid brushing the implant region for 7 days. Use the mouthwash at the implant region.
10. If the area starts to bleed sit down and bite firmly down on the gauze provided for 15 minutes, the pressure should stop the bleeding.
11. You may experience pain after your surgery. You can take two types of painkillers to help, Ibuprofen (pink) and Paracetamol. Alternate between the two for 24 hours only. If you feel the need to take them for longer then do so as instructed by your Doctor. DO NOT take any other paracetamol containing products.
12. If you require antibiotics then a prescription will be issued to you in surgery.
13. During the surgical procedure stitches are often used, these are self-dissolving but may take up to 40 days to do so. Generally, they are removed by the Doctor on your implant 2-week review.
For more information on Dental Implants please visit our FAQ section here
Hear from our
These are just some of the kind words about our practice, direct from our incredible patients.